[LLVMdev] Darwin vs exceptions

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Sun Dec 9 02:34:03 PST 2007

Hi Dale,

> > this is the bit I don't understand.  Why does it go
> > into a loop?  How can the unwinder possibly know that
> > the original code did not have a catch-all, since we
> > tell it which catches there are and we say: there is
> > a catch-all!
>
> The unwinder works by doing a stack crawl to find a handler.  Since
> we're telling it every eh-selector is a catch-all handler, it finds
> one immediately (that is not there)

I'm not sure what you mean: there is a handler: it just rethrows
the exception.  This is not very interesting of course, but it's
still a handler.  Or do you mean something different when you talk
of a handler?

> and caches where it thinks it
> is.  That code (cleanup or whatever) is executed and ends by reaching
> Unwind_Resume, which tries to resume at where it thinks the handler
> is.

I also don't understand this: why is Unwind_Resume looking at where
the exception's handler is?  The handler used for the caught exception
should be irrelevant to it.  It sounds like the unwinder thinks that
the Unwind_Resume is in the same eh region as the original throwing
call.

> Which is back at the same code from which we reached
> Unwind_Resume.  This worked OK when we were caching the IP because
> the IP of the throw and Unwind_Resume call were different, but when
> caching the CFA they are the same, which confuses Unwind_Resume.

How is catch-all then rethrow supposed to work then?  Are you sure
that this isn't simply a bug in where labels are placed etc, the
frame info or the exception table setup etc?

> (This is darwin's unwinder but I think the patch I quoted is the only
> relevant change to generic gcc code.
> Could be wrong.)

> >> Ok, cool :)  Duncan, Anton, what do you guys think about this?
> >
> > This is wrong - it breaks the semantics of invoke and causes
> > eh to not work properly in some cases (see my email to Dale).
>
> Well, it works a lot better on Darwin than what's there now.  I
> believe telling the unwinder there is a cleanup is sufficient to get
> control always transferred to the secondary label on the invoke.

Are you saying that the Darwin unwinder doesn't have the special
cleanup logic?  If so you could indeed push a cleanup rather than
a catch-all on Darwin.

> Could you point me to an example that should fail?

Sure - run the testsuite on linux with -enable-correct-eh-support
changed to -enable-eh in Makefile.programs.  Then apply your patch,
run again and analyse the failures.  I will do this and send you
a reduced example (I used to have some but I don't remember what
I did with them).

Ciao,

Duncan.