[LLVMdev] Problem compiling LLVM under Cygwin/Mingw

Anton Korobeynikov asl at math.spbu.ru
Mon Aug 6 14:42:41 PDT 2007

Hello, Alain.

> I'm starting to play with LLVM today and I've trouble compiling it.
> I'm
> working under Windows Vista, with the gcc from Cygwin:
Oh, this seems to be killer mix :) GCC (at least native mingw32 port)
has known problems being running on Vista.

> Is LLVM supposed to work with this version of GCC (probably using the
> -mno-cygwin option to get a Mingw-like behavior)?
Honestly speaking, I never tried this. I always used "plain" mingw32
plus msys as a shell. Wiki mentions exactly this case.

> llvm[3]: Compiling PredicateSimplifier.cpp for Debug build
> PredicateSimplifier.cpp: In member function `bool
> <unnamed>::VRPSolver::below(llvm::Instruction*)':
> PredicateSimplifier.cpp:1417: warning: control reaches end of non-void
> function
> PredicateSimplifier.cpp: In member function `bool
> <unnamed>::DomTreeDFS::dominates(llvm::Instruction*, llvm::Instruction*)':
> PredicateSimplifier.cpp:247: warning: control reaches end of non-void
> function
That's strange. Is it possible to update to gcc 3.4.5? (I'm using this
for windows builds). Can you try to look into preprocessed source? How
is assert() expanded there?

> llvm[3]: Linking Debug Loadable Module LLVMHello.dll
> mklib: link: warning: undefined symbols not allowed in i686-pc-cygwin
> shared libraries
It seems, that configure machinery was confused by mix of cygwin
environment and mingw32 tools. Can you try to reconfigure with
--host=i386-pc-mingw32 ? In fact LLVM plugins (which are shared
libraries) are not supported on windows due to difference in linker
stuff (static vs dynamic).

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov.

Faculty of Mathematics & Mechanics, Saint Petersburg State University.