[LLVMdev] http://llvm.org/Name.html

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Fri Apr 13 06:54:37 PDT 2007

Hi,

There's been quite a bit of interest and discussion for naming LLVM. So
much so that I can't keep up with all the changes and ideas. We're
working
on getting a Wiki and CMS system running but its likely not to be
available
for a while.  Until then, I'd like to change the rules for name
submission:

1. If you have commit access, make the changes yourself. Please don't
affect
   anyone else's entry.
2. If you want to add something to the Name.html page and don't have
commit
   access, please prepare a patch and submit it to me as an attachment
off
   list.  I will apply it as quickly as I can.
3. There seem to be some themes for names and we might want to capture
some
   of the llvmdev discussions in separate sections on the page. The two
that
   come to mind are portmanteau and dragons. The portmanteau section
could
   list both the portmanteau names as well as words that could be used
in
   the formation of portmanteau names. The dragon section could go into
the
   mythology of each name.

Yes, if you didn't notice, I'm trying to off load some work here. Sorry,
but
I have a job too :)

Reid.