[LLVMdev] LLVA and WCET Analysis

Fabian Scheler fabian.scheler at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 13:22:00 PDT 2007

> > LLVA specifically is refering to a research project offshoot of llvm.
> > LLVM instructions do not have 1:1 mappings to native instructions
> > (sometimes multiple llvm instructions map to fewer native insts,
> > sometimes the other way around).
>
> That's correct, and furthermore, LLVA (now called SVA = Secure
> Virtual Architecture) uses essentially the same virtual instruction
> set as LLVM, so they have the same difficulty.

Hm, when writing LLVA I rather meant this publication

http://llvm.org/pubs/2003-10-01-LLVA.html

Maybe the used abbreviations meanwhile changed or I mixed up something
else. Regarding the fact, that it is not possible to have a 1:1
mapping between LLVM instructions and native code instructions in the
general case. That is clear, it is the same problem as it is with Java
Byte Code. Some work dealing with WCET analysis of Java Byte Code
already has been done:

Iain Bate, Guillem Bernat, Greg Murphy, Peter Puschner:
Low-Level Analysis of a Portable Java Byte Code WCET Analysis Framework

Guillem Bernat, Alan Burns, Andy Wellings:
Portable Worst-Case Execution Time Analysis Using Java Byte Code

I just wondered if anybody did something similar for the LLVM
instruction set, but apparently this seems not to be the case.

Ciao, Fabian