[LLVMdev] LLVM based Virtual Machine "Environment" idea sanity check.

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 07:39:55 PDT 2006

Hi Shawn,

> What I want to do is create an idealized "processing node."  This
> virtual machine would include:
>
> 1) A processing core
> 2) Access to "permanent storage"
> 3) Access to a "Network device"
>
> With any luck, you should be able to run this virtual "processing node"
> on an old Pentium II, on a Apple G3, on a soon-to-be-extinct PS2
> (because everyone'll be selling them to get the PS3), on a Gumstix
> Waysmall computer... basically anything that you can get your hands on.
>
> Each of the computers above would run the "idealized processing node" in
> their native operating system.

Have you looked at the Inferno OS?  Originally from Bell Labs, now
developed by Vita Nuova.

    http://www.vitanuova.com/inferno/index.html

It sounds just like what you're thinking of.  Even if you do want to
role your own, with or without LLVM, you'll pick up lots of useful
information from the papers on it.

Cheers,

Ralph.