[LLVMdev] updating the "Getting Started" page with more info about the gcc4 frontend

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Sep 6 00:56:53 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006, Erick Tryzelaar wrote:
> Erick Tryzelaar wrote:
>> Actually, my request for more info in the "Getting Started" had some
>> hidden questions, as I don't know the answer to them :) So to be a
>> little more clear, here are the two I had:
>>
>> Does the gcc4 no longer need the "fixheaders" script that the gcc3.4
>> frontends uses?
>>
>> Is it possible to install both the gcc4 and the gcc3.4 frontends at
>> the same time, or are they mutually exclusive? If so, how? If not,
>> would it require a full rebuild, and renaming the executables
>> something like llvm-gcc3?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>

> Sorry to bump this again, but I haven't been able to figure it out :(
> Anyone know the answer?

They can coexist.  The steps I use are to install both into separate
directories.  Don't add either bin dir to your path.  Then create (in some
directory in your PATH) symlinks to both trees.  I have llvm-gcc/llvm-g++
symlinked to llvm-gcc4 and llvm-gcc3/llvm-g++3 symlinked to the llvm-gcc3
binaries.

Seems to work for me, YMMV,

-Chris

--