[LLVMdev] LLVM based Virtual Machine "Environment" idea sanity check.

Shawn "AutoDMC" Boles autodmc at autodmclabs.com
Tue Sep 5 14:15:24 PDT 2006

I've got an idea for a program, and after readig about 1/3 of your
documentation, I think LLVM is what I'm looking for.

What I'd like now is some help to see if my idea is "sane" and and shed
light and direction that could be provided.

I want to build a simplified "Virtual Machine" containing:

A Terminal
Hard Drives (image files)
Some Kind Of Networking Device

LLVM programs would be run "inside" this Virtual Machine, accessing the
terminal and hard drive images and networking device... but not having
access to ANYTHING on the host computer (except through the "virtual"
devices).

I had originally planned on writing my own "processor core" for this
project... but I'd rather use LLVM (Mainly because I don't have to write
my own high level tools).

Here's what I'm thinking I need to do.  It seems to me that I have to
"port" LLVM using the System Library to my "Virtual Machine" (which also
includes a bit of magic of the "Exokernel" operating system stuff).
Then I can run LLVM programs in my "port" on my "environment" to get
what I want.

Then LLVM can JIT compile programs but still only have access to my
"Virtual Machine."  I think.

Any pointers on where to read, Ideas to move on... would be much
appreciated.

Thanks.

--
   +----+       Shawn Boles        +------+/
  /(  )/|     "Chief Engineer"     |     \/