[LLVMdev] LLVM gcc front-end versus Microsoft Visual C++ 8.0 compiler

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Fri Sep 1 11:48:03 PDT 2006

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Anton Vayvod wrote:
> I'm eager to know what compiler optimizes code better: Microsoft Visual
> C++ 8.0 or LLVM's front-end? If some tests and results are available I'd
> appreciate anyone who points me at it.

Compilers do better or worse depending on the code that you give them.
I'm not aware of anyone who has done any thorough comparison between VC
and LLVM codegen, but even if they did, my suggestion would be the same:
I'd try them both out on your code and measure them directly.  You care
about how LLVM does on your code, not how it does on some abstract code :)

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/