[LLVMdev] "fork" and "sync" for LLVM thread support - any comments?

Vikram Adve vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 30 11:27:21 PST 2006

Duraid,

Adding support for explicit threads in LLVM would be great.  Some
questions/comments:

1. About sync:

    (a) Optimizations, especially those that move code like PRE or
LICM, need to do the right thing for sync.  This is because programs
can use sync operations to ensure apparently unrelated operations
(i.e., unrelated by dataflow) come before/after.  Code motion
generally could work with fork() because it appears like a function
call to either an unknown function (for intra-procedural opts) or a
known function (for any affected interprocedural transformations).
Perhaps defining sync to behave like a call to an unknown function
would work but I'm not sure even that is enough.

    (b) I don't see how the run-time could ever reclaim your sync
tokens and the underlying representation of them.  There seems to be
no general way for either the compiler or run-time to known when a
token is no longer needed.  pthreads defines the explicit operation
pthread_cond_destroy for exactly this purpose.

    (c) Using int tokens also could involve significant performance
overhead because you'd have to map from int values to run-time info
if the space of token numbers is sparse.

2. About some missing features:

    (a) M-T programs often use operations on threads like exit, join,
cancel, etc.  Wouldn't you need similar operations?

    (b) Similarly, atomic operations are common.  What about those?

3. Relationship to system-specific thread libs like pthreads, win32
threads, etc.:

    What is the plan here?  Do you see your operations as a portable
interface to these, or an alternative to be used by language
implementations (like OpenMP), or something else?  I think there are
several issues here, especially generality, compatibility (as in co-
existence of code using the LLVM operations and the library
operations), and memory model.

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/