[LLVMdev] LLVM for numerical computations

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Oct 30 10:47:24 PST 2006

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Luc Bourhis wrote:
> Am I correct? Does it make sense to use LLVM for such a purpose?

Yes, that is a standard "jit compile vs interpret" scenario.  LLVM should
work well for that.

> How would the functions defined in <cmath> be called from the LLVM code?

Just use standard calls to external functions, the JIT will autoresolve
them to the current process.

> How would I best specify in LLVM where to find the values of the
> independent variables? That is to say the inputs for the whole
> computation LLVM will perform…

You probably want to make one LLVM function per computation tree, the
inputs to this would naturally become arguments to the function.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/