[LLVMdev] Questions regarding using LLVM for static code analysis

Shirish Seetharam (sseethar) sseethar at cisco.com
Tue Oct 10 13:36:34 PDT 2006

Hi,
    I am looking into the possibility of using the the LLVM
infrastructure for static code analysis. Specifically I am trying to
understand the object mod/ref relationships between modules (which are a
set of C/C++ files). I plan to generate the .o and .bc files (using
CC=llvm-gcc) and then run "opt" on the .bc file to display the
information. One of the things I noticed was that some of the optimizer
phases had already transformed the code, so the dependency had moved to
another function. I wanted to know if there is a simple way to disable
all the optimizing transformations ?  I am also interested in knowing
how scalable this approach (generating the .o and the .bc and then using
opt) is going to be ? The source I am looking is fairly large (several
million lines of code).
Thanks,
Shirish