[LLVMdev] Byte code portability (was Re: libstdc++ as bytecode, and compiling C++ to C)

Pertti Kellomäki pk at cs.tut.fi
Thu Nov 23 06:51:30 PST 2006

Chris Lattner wrote:
> Many aspects of the target compiler can leak through.

So if one wants to use the LLVM system as a cross compiler, one
has to configure llvm-gcc as a cross compiler? Fair enough, I guess.

> One trivial example is:
>
> int X = sizeof(long);

So I assume this also means that while getelementptr insulates
llvm byte code from the details of target specific address calculations,
the target back end has to agree with gcc on how much space values
of each data type consume.
--
Pertti