[LLVMdev] LLVM and Cell processor

Sébastien Pierre sebastien-lists at type-z.org
Mon Nov 20 20:09:02 PST 2006

Hi all,

I've been following LLVM for a couple of years, and though I've not
found an occasion to use it (yet), I'm always curious about its
potential uses.

I was discussing with friends about the Cell processor, and some of
the arguments were that it is difficult to program and difficult to
optimize. One of the concerns was that the PPE (central processor) is
"in order", which implies that the compiler has to be able to
optimize the code in a much more advanced way.

I don't know if LLVM will support the Cell, but I was wondering if
there are features that allow to produce code that will be optimized
for "in order" processors.

Thanks :)

  -- Sébastien