[LLVMdev] 1.9 Prerelease Available for Testing

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Thu Nov 16 13:49:09 PST 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Tanya M. Lattner wrote:
>>  * I don't think this is ready for release. In particular the llvm-gcc4
>> binary
>>    seg faults on FC 5 for most of llvm-test programs.
>>  * I'm going to re-try without using the binaries and building
>> everything from scratch.
>
> Does llvm-gcc4 seg fault for make check? I've done extensive testing with
> llvm-gcc4 on x86 and did not have any problems with llvm-gcc4... so I am
> curious as to whats going on. If you could look into this, that would be
> great. Please triple check that you are using a clean llvm-test directory
> (ie. did not use llvm-gcc3 previously) and that the correct llvm-gcc is
> being used.

This is also quite possibly a problem with llvm-gcc being built on a
non-FC5 machine and pulling in different libraries.  This is why binary
distros on linux doesn't usually work very well.  If so, there really
isn't anything we can do about this, other than labeling the binary with
the linux version it was built on.

>> BUILD LLVM WITH LLVM-GCC4 CONFIGURED (PASS/FAIL)
>>  * Configure failed to find llvm-gcc4 when the directory provided to
>> --with-llvmgccdir
>>    was the llvm-gcc4-1.9-x86-linux directory unpacked from the tarball.
>> The 5-line
>>    warning message at the end of configure run was produced. I don't
>> know what configure
>>    is looking for, but its not finding it.
>
> Interesting. This must be a bug in the configure script. This probably
> should be fixed.

Reid, are you sure you passed the current directory to the configure
script?

>>  * FAIL: 'make' failed in runtime library. Althought the runtime
>> library isn't needed
>>    with llvm-gcc4, it shouldn't fail to compile it:
>>    make[3]: Entering directory
>> `/proj/llvm/rel1.9/llvm/runtime/GCCLibraries/crtend'
>>    llvm[3]: Compiling crtend.c for Release build (bytecode)
>>    crtend.c:16: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
>>    Please submit a full bug report,
>>    with preprocessed source if appropriate.
>>    See <URL:http://llvm.org/bugs> for instructions.
>>  * PASS: 'make tools-only'
>
> I'll have to defer to Chris on this and if its a show stopper.

Something is wrong with your configuration, probably related to not
finding llvmgcc4 right.  You should get this message:

llvm[0]: Warning: These runtime libraries only need to be built with
llvm[0]: Warning: llvm-gcc version 3. They are automatically included
llvm[0]: Warning: with llvm-gcc version 4 and beyond

if you try to build in llvm/runtime.

>>  * Most of the test (90%) fail compile with seg fault.
>>
>> PATH="/proj/llvm/rel1.9/llvm/Release/bin:/proj/install/bin:/usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/reid/bin:/opt/j2sdk_1.4.2/j2sdk1.4.2/bin:/opt/oracle/bin" /proj/llvm/rel1.9/llvm-gcc4-1.9-x86-linux/bin/llvm-gcc -I/proj/llvm/rel1.9/llvm-test/SingleSource/UnitTests/Vector/SSE -I/proj/llvm/rel1.9/llvm-test/SingleSource/UnitTests/Vector/SSE -I/proj/llvm/rel1.9/llvm/include -I/proj/llvm/rel1.9/llvm-test/include -I../../../../include -I/proj/llvm/rel1.9/llvm/include -D_GNU_SOURCE -D__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS -D__NO_MATH_INLINES -O2 -msse2 -msse2 -O0 -S sse.expandfft.c -o Output/sse.expandfft.ll -emit-llvm
>> sse.expandfft.c:268: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
>> Please submit a full bug report,
>> with preprocessed source if appropriate.

It's not clear to me if this is with the binary distro of llvm-gcc4 (which
is apparently incompatible with your system) or with one you built
yourself...

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/