[LLVMdev] 1.9 Prerelease Available for Testing

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Thu Nov 16 10:21:51 PST 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Tanya M. Lattner wrote:
>> We could just make the testsuite detect that all the targets weren't
>> built, and refuse to run the tests...
>
> No. I don't think thats a good solution. There are many other tests that
> should be run. I just need to fix that bug so we only run tests for the
> specific target we are on.

The issue is that we have many tests that work in cross compile mode.  For
example, test/Regression/CodeGen/PowerPC/vec_spat.ll contains:

; RUN: llvm-as < %s | llc -march=ppc32 -mcpu=g5 | grep vspltw | wc -l | grep 2 &&
; RUN: llvm-as < %s | llc -march=ppc32 -mcpu=g3 | grep stfs | wc -l | grep 4 &&
; RUN: llvm-as < %s | llc -march=ppc32 -mcpu=g5 | grep vsplti | wc -l | grep 3 &&
; RUN: llvm-as < %s | llc -march=ppc32 -mcpu=g5 | grep vsplth | wc -l | grep 1

We want this test to run on all hosts, regardless of whether or not they
are PPC or even have altivec.

We could make the test system know that this specific test requires the
PPC target to be built and disable it, but that would result in incomplete
testing.

Bugs *are* found due to cross builds like this, I think it's important to
keep these tests.  Besides, marking all the dependencies the test has
seems like a lot of work, there are lots of tests like this.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/