[LLVMdev] PassManager

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Tue Nov 7 09:32:23 PST 2006

Hi All,

I am planning to re-implement PassManager in llvm 2.0. The goal is to
address

   http://nondot.org/sabre/LLVMNotes/Inliner-PassManager.txt   and
   http://nondot.org/sabre/LLVMNotes/LoopOptimizerNotes.txt

and other crazy ideas Chris has. Current implementation of PassManager
is very complex. Initially I attempted to update it to  address above
notes but realized that redoing PassManager in simple way makes more
sense, and Chris agreed. Instead of replacing current PassManager with
new PassManager in one big scoop I'm going to follow these steps:

1) Rename existing Managers using _X suffix.
2) Introduce new PassManager skeleton
3) Add functionality in new Pass Manager
4) Start Using new Pass Manager
5) Remove existing Pass Manager
6) Implement LoopPassManager
7) Update existing Loop transformations to conform LoopPassManager

-
Devang