[LLVMdev] LLVM / C--

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Nov 1 16:12:15 PST 2006

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Guillaume FORTAINE wrote:

>> C--'s weakness is it's incompleteness (missing many major features),
>> instability/bugginess, poor performance (both time to compile and the
>> generated code), lack of high-level optimizations, lack of ABI
>> compatibility with the native tools, lack of C++ frontend support, and the
>> small size of its community.
>
> To quote Tony Hoare :

I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood my question.

What are you trying to *accomplish*?

Philosophy is wonderful, all else being equal.  In practice, if you want
to accomplish a particular goal, some approachs are more useful than
others.  Note that, in practice, LLVM lives up to much of the stuff you
cited.

What are you trying to build, and how much of the existing support we have
do you intend to reuse?

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/