[LLVMdev] [RFC, ARM] expanding RET to CopyToReg;BRIND

Rafael EspĂ­ndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Tue May 30 04:26:39 PDT 2006

I have changed the way in which the ARM backend generates a function
return. Instead of expanding a RET to a CopyToReg;RETFLAG, it now
expands into a CopyToReg;BRIND. I haven't commit it yet, but the patch
is attached.

In my opinion the resulting code is easier to understand, but I have
some questions:

Why all backends use RETFLAG?

Why it is named RETFLAG?

Why the Copy that places the result must have a Flag operand? If I
understand correctly, the Flag operand exists in nodes that use a flag
register (cpsr in ARM).

Thanks,
Rafael