[LLVMdev] Conflicting passes?

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed May 3 09:25:24 PDT 2006

On Wed, 3 May 2006, Domagoj D wrote:
> I have and found nothing that contradicts what I said:
> a) I still don't see a way to use such conflicting passes within a
> single pass that requires them both

Right.  There is no way.  If you have two passes which provide (in this
case) CFG properties "A" and "B", and pass A break property "B" and pass B
breaks property "A", there is no way to get the CFG with both properties
at the same time.

> b) Sequencing and "property preservation" still look like optimization
> to me (a very useful, but also limiting one). If runOnFunction() calls
> are assumed to be independent, for each function, the PassManager could
> call:

No.  The "requires" capability of the pass manager has has nothing to do
with sequencing.  If you want *sequencing*, just add the passes to the
pass manager in some order.  The "requires" capability is there for passes
that need some analysis information or property (e.g. critical edges
broken) to be active when they run.

> UnifyFunctionExitNodes which destroys all properties, and
> LowerSwitchID, which should be able to rebuild what it needs.
>
> The order might be implementation-dependent, and that's the only problem
> I see. However, in this case those two passes do orthogonal transforms,
> and it doesn't really matter which runs first. Even if it does, the
> sequence of addRequired<>() calls might be (perhaps) used to handle
> that.

Right.  The issue is that there is no way to hack this into working.  If
you want to have a pass that depends on both "no switch statements" and
"unified exits" (which are not conflicting here) you need to update the
UnifyExits and LowerSwitch passes to know that they don't invalidate each
other.  This should just be a matter of adding an addPreserves<>
somewhere.  In this case, neither pass invalidates each other.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/