[LLVMdev] llvm-config "to do" list

Eric Kidd emk.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 05:43:47 PST 2006

Reid and I have identified a number of problems with llvm-config,
which I'll be looking into this week:

1) llvm-config doesn't always pick up system libraries needed to
link. This should be an easy fix, although it will require Makefile
changes.

2) In-tree linking doesn't work. I'm not sure why out-of-tree linking
with llvm-config works better than in-tree linking. I'll need to take
a look a Reid's scripts.

3) Judging from Reid's bug reports, linking 'interpreter' doesn't
seem to be enough to get the ForceInterpreterLinking() function. I
have no idea what's going on here--this code was added after llvm-
config was committed.

I want to get these issues sorted out in time for LLVM 1.7. For LLVM
1.8, we can look into re-writing llvm-config as a C++ program (to
remove llvm-config's dependency on Perl, allowing it to be used in
the GCC build process).

Cheers,
Eric