[LLVMdev] problem loading analysis results from Inliner pass

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 15:38:55 PST 2006

On 3/21/06, Michael McCracken <michael.mccracken at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > -debug-pass=Structure should help figure out if that's the case.
>
> using -debug-pass=Structure does show me that my pass is loaded and
> killed immediately. Here's a sample. "Dummy PMF Interface" is the noop
> default implementation of the "PMFAnalysis" analysis group, while "PMF
> File Loader" is the real implementation that I'm interested in.
>
> Pass Arguments:  -pmf-load -raiseallocs -simplifycfg -mem2reg
> -globalopt -globaldce -ipconstprop -deadargelim -instcombine
> -simplifycfg -prune-eh -inline -argpromotion -raise -tailduplicate
> -simplifycfg -scalarrepl -instcombine -break-crit-edges -condprop
> -tailcallelim -simplifycfg -reassociate -loopsimplify -licm
> -instcombine -indvars -loop-unroll -instcombine -load-vn -gcse -sccp
> -instcombine -break-crit-edges -condprop -dse -mergereturn -adce
> -simplifycfg -deadtypeelim -constmerge -verify
> Target Data Layout
> Dummy PMF Interface
> Basic Alias Analysis (default AA impl)
> Basic Value Numbering (default GVN impl)
> Module Pass Manager
>   PMF File Loader
> --PMF File Loader
>   Raise allocations from calls to instructions
> --Raise allocations from calls to instructions
>   Function Pass Manager
>     Simplify the CFG
> --  Simplify the CFG
>     Immediate Dominators Construction
>     Dominator Tree Construction
> --  Immediate Dominators Construction
>     Dominance Frontier Construction
>     Promote Memory to Register
> --  Dominance Frontier Construction
> --  Dominator Tree Construction
> --  Promote Memory to Register
>   Global Variable Optimizer
> --Global Variable Optimizer
>   Dead Global Elimination
> --Dead Global Elimination
>   Interprocedural constant propagation
> --Interprocedural constant propagation
>   Dead Argument Elimination
> --Dead Argument Elimination
>   Function Pass Manager
>     Combine redundant instructions
> --  Combine redundant instructions
>     Simplify the CFG
> --  Simplify the CFG
>   Call Graph Construction
>   Remove unused exception handling info
> --Remove unused exception handling info
>   Function Integration/Inlining
> --Function Integration/Inlining
>   Promote 'by reference' arguments to scalars
> --Promote 'by reference' arguments to scalars
> --Call Graph Construction
>   Function Pass Manager
> ... continues...
>
> That's on my linux box - on darwin, a similar (but not exactly the
> same) set of passes yields the expected result, where PMF File Loader
> is alive for the whole sequence.
>
> I had just written a more detailed version of this email when I
> realized that the dummy pass and the real pass were not the exact same
> type - the dummy was an ImmutablePass and the real pass was a
> ModulePass. On changing the real pass to an ImmutablePass, I get the

Just some more information:

After a more thorough test, that isn't quite the case - since the
ImmutablePass is never 'run', my code needs modification to work.
However, I thought that maybe I could just make them both ModulePasses
instead, but that produces the following runtime error:

opt: /home/mmccrack/lens/obj-llvm-darcslocal/../llvm-darcslocal/llvm/lib/VMCore/PassManagerT.h:426:
void llvm::PassManagerT<UnitType>::markPassUsed(const llvm::PassInfo*,
llvm::Pass*) [with UnitType = llvm::Module]: Assertion
`getAnalysisOrNullUp(P) &&
dynamic_cast<ImmutablePass*>(getAnalysisOrNullUp(P)) && "Pass
available but not found! " "Perhaps this is a module pass requiring a
function pass?"' failed.

Which is also unexpected. I think for now I will attempt to make my
pass work as Immutable, but I'm still curious why having both be a
ModulePass gets this error, where both as an ImmutablePass is OK for
the PassManager and one of each is also OK. Strange, but maybe I'm
missing something.

-mike