[LLVMdev] Why LLVM libraries are static?

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Wed Mar 1 06:59:03 PST 2006

Hello!

Is there any reason why after "./configure; make" all LLVM libraries are .a
files, and not .so files?

The problem with .a files is that if I make a plugin, say code generator, it
should link in pretty large LLVM libraries. If libraries were shared, this
would not be required.

Alternatively, tools that load plugins can probably mark all symbols as
dynamically exported, by using gcc option

  -Wl,--export-dynamic

Again, this will allow plugins to use LLVM symbols without linking in a
static copy of them.

Or I just did not notice some option to configure?

Thanks,
Volodya