[LLVMdev] LLVM bytecode simulator/emulator?

Kenneth Hoste kenneth.hoste at elis.ugent.be
Fri Jul 14 12:36:07 PDT 2006

John Criswell wrote:

> You can compile library code into LLVM bytecode libraries and link them
> with gccld.  In general, LLVM provides tools equivalent to most of your
> compiler tool chain (gccas, gccld, llvm-ar, llvm-nm, etc).  You can, for
> example, make an archive of LLVM bytecode files.
>
> The problem, in your case, is that no one has successfully compiled all
> of libc into LLVM bytecode yet.  Some libc functions are compiled to
> LLVM bytecode (see llvm/runtime), but many others are not; for those, we
> link against the native libraries after code generation.
>
> You can try compiling the parts of libc you need to LLVM bytecode, but
> be forewarned that it'll be tedious.  C libraries (glibc in particular)
> seem to be designed to make life difficult for people who want to
> compile them.

I think to amount of glibc functions I need to support will be limited.

We have some compiler experts in our research group, who will be able to
help me when I experience serious problems (I think).
I think it's worth a shot, atleast until I can really evaluate if the
effort is worth it or not.

Besides that, I can probably rely on the expierence of some people on
this mailinglist? What is the best way to start such an ambitious
project? Do I just check which external functions are called in the
bytecode I get, and try to support those functions using LLVM code?

Why has no-one supported printf yet? Is it that hard (I have no idea
really, I'm only asking)?

greetings, and thanks already for your replies

Kenneth

--
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what
they conceal is vital (Aaron Levenstein)

Kenneth Hoste
ELIS - Ghent University
kenneth.hoste at elis.ugent.be
http://www.elis.ugent.be/~kehoste