[LLVMdev] X86-64 target

Morten Ofstad morten at hue.no
Fri Jan 20 04:54:59 PST 2006

Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Morten Ofstad wrote:
>> Hello, I'm currently porting our software to the x86-64 (windows)
>> platform. I've already done most of the work involved in getting LLVM
>> itself to run on 64-bit windows, but of course that doesn't help much
>> as long as the emitted code is 32-bit...
>
> My understanding is that LLVM builds fine on AMD64 machines running
> Linux, and we'd obviously be happy to merge in changes you made to make
> it work well on Win64.

I have new project files for VS2005 and several patches to the X86 target (to get it to compile at all) and to the
System/* files for windows. Unfortunately, all this is based on the 1.5 release of LLVM that is used in our software -
I'll probably upgrade to the latest release in a few weeks, but I don't want to keep tracking the development version. I
don't think it will be too much of a problem, though - as the files I've patch don't seem to change very often. I will
submit my patches once I've had time to bring them up to date with the development version.

>> Since we're using LLVM for dynamic code generation it's not just a
>> matter of fixing the compilation problems but also re-targeting the
>> x86 backend to use 64 bit pointers everywhere. I'm not familiar with
>> the x86-64 instruction set, so I really have no idea how much work
>> this will be. My question is really if anyone is already working on
>> this, perhaps on a 64-bit Linux?
>
> Unfortunately, there is no work (that I'm aware of) to add 64-bit X86
> support yet.  The plans I'm aware of to add this will start in 4-5
> months. If you were already familiar with the architecture and the LLVM
> code generator, I would guess it could be done in 3-4 weeks without a
> problem. If not on both counts, it might take a few more months.

Ok, I will have to wait then.

m.