[LLVMdev] Dynamically loaded passes under OS X

Robert L. Bocchino Jr. bocchino at uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 6 14:53:36 PST 2006

When I tried this a while back, the .so file wasn't being built on
Mac OS X.  Now it looks like it is.  I got dynamic loading to work
following the instructions in http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/
WritingAnLLVMPass.html.  However, there was a typo in the
instructions (it should say LOADABLE_MODULE = 1), and I fixed that
and committed it.  I also fixed the sample/lib/sample Makefile to
conform to these instructions.

So problem solved, thanks.

Rob

On Jan 6, 2006, at 3:29 PM, Reid Spencer wrote:

> The answer lies in the lib/System/ltdl.c which is the dynamic loader
> used by LLVM for cross platform dynamic loading.  If there are
> paths or
> files that we're not looking for on OS/X then that needs to be fixed.
> Could you be a little more specific about what failures you are
> experiencing?
>
> Reid.
>
> On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 14:25 -0600, Robert L. Bocchino Jr. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> In the past, I haven't been able to get dynamically loaded passes to
>> work under OS X.  When I follow the instructions in the LLVM
>> documentation, everything works fine for Linux, but OS X has a
>> different way of handling dynamic loading, and the files that the
>> dynamic loader is trained to look for don't exist.  In the past, I've
>> worked around this by just linking all my passes into opt, but this
>> isn't going to work for me anymore.
>>

>> So how do I get dynamically loaded passes to work on the Mac?  Chris,
>> you probably know the answer to this since you're a Mac user now.
>>

>> Rob
>>

>> Robert L. Bocchino Jr.
>>
>> Ph.D. Student
>>
>> University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

Robert L. Bocchino Jr.
Ph.D. Student, Computer Science