[LLVMdev] Books, papers and information

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Tue Dec 19 08:17:43 PST 2006

Hi Fredrik,

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 15:13 +0100, Fredrik Svensson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As Christmas approaches rapidly I would like to get some suggestions for
> interesting compiler books, papers and other type of information that one
> can read the few slow days over Christmas.
>
> Any recommendations ? I have the dragon book, but it would be fun to read
> something on what is happening in modern compilers.

The dragon book is a good general reference, but its a bit dated.

The best book on optimization that I've seen is Muchnik:
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Compiler-Design-Implementation-Muchnick/dp/1558603204/sr=8-1/qid=1166545021/ref=sr_1_1/002-2644375-9125607?ie=UTF8&s=books

For a discussion of compiling for modern architectures, Allen & Kennedy
is good:
http://www.amazon.com/Optimizing-Compilers-Modern-Architectures-Dependence-based/dp/1558602860/sr=8-4/qid=1166544883/ref=sr_1_4/002-2644375-9125607?ie=UTF8&s=books