[LLVMdev] opt -load error on Darwin

Jing Yu jingyuuiuc at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 19:57:15 PDT 2006

Hi,

I am following the instructions on Writing an LLVM Pass on Darwin(8.7.0)
powerpc.  The loadable library is built. But "opt -load " gives error saying
"Symbol not found". I am using LLVM 1.8. Could someone tell me how to fix
it? I have tried the same procedure on Pentium4 Redhat9. Everything is ok
there. So I think there must be some specific problem on Darwin that I
should pay attention to. But what is it?

Here is how I got this error.

After installing cfrontend3.4 and LLVM, I included cfrontend-bin and
LLVM-installed-bin in PATH. I also set LLVM_LIB_SEARCH_PATH to be
cfrontend-lib.

I copied Hello.cpp and Makefile to ~/tools/build-ppc/lib/Transforms/Hello
and built the library.

pollux:~/tools/build-ppc/lib/Transforms/Hello $ make
llvm[0]: Compiling Hello.cpp for Release build  (PIC)
llvm[0]: Linking Release Shared Library LLVMHello.so
llvm[0]: Linking Release Object Library LLVMHello.o

The loadable library was found on ~/tools/build-pcc/Release/lib.

pollux:~/tools/build-ppc/Release/lib $ file LLVMHello*
LLVMHello.0.0.0.so: Mach-O bundle ppc
LLVMHello.0.so:     symbolic link to `LLVMHello.0.0.0.so'
LLVMHello.a:        current ar archive
LLVMHello.la:       ASCII English text
LLVMHello.o:        Mach-O object ppc
LLVMHello.so:       symbolic link to `LLVMHello.0.0.0.so'

But when I ran opt -load, it said "symbol not found".

pollux:~/test $ opt -load
/Users/jingyu/tools/build-ppc/Release/lib/LLVMHello.so -help
Error opening '/Users/jingyu/tools/build-ppc/Release/lib/LLVMHello.so':
Can't open :/Users/jingyu/tools/build-ppc/Release/lib/LLVMHello.so:
dlopen(/Users/jingyu/tools/build-ppc/Release/lib/LLVMHello.so, 9): Symbol
not found:
__ZN4llvm12FunctionPass16addToPassManagerEPNS_20FunctionPassManagerTERNS_13AnalysisUsageE
  Referenced from: /Users/jingyu/tools/build-ppc/Release/lib/LLVMHello.so
  Expected in: flat namespace

I guess the problem is that the library who implements the symbol was not
found at run time, or the lib path information was not given to LLVMHello
correctly at link time. I am new to Darwin. I have tried to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be llvm-installed-lib, and rebuilt LLVMHello. No
difference was found. What shall I do to fix it? Any information is
appreciated.

Thanks,

Jing