[LLVMdev] gcc4 or gcc3?

Tanya M. Lattner tonic at nondot.org
Mon Aug 7 11:29:32 PDT 2006

> (4) The page http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#checkout says to get
> the gcc 3.4 source code.
> The instructions to compile it in http://llvm.org/docs/CFEBuildInstrs.html
> seem to deal in gcc 3 and gcc 4 instead.  Is this an error in the
> documentation, or does it indicate that I should compile the llvm-gcc 3.4
> source code with GNU's gcc versions 3 or 4 depending on what;'s already
> installed on my system.

Actually, I misread your question. The instructions for llvm-gcc3 and
llvm-gcc4 have nothing do with what version of gcc you have installed on
your system. They refer to which version of gcc was modified to output
llvm bytecode. You can use whatever gcc is on your system to compile
either (as long as its not in the FAQ as known not to work).

-Tanya