[LLVMdev] Adding register allocator to LLVM

Jim Laskey jlaskey at apple.com
Thu Aug 3 02:38:26 PDT 2006

Welcome to the world of pluggable machine passes.  This work was done
to lighten the load of some llvm tools, ie., only link in the
register allocators and instruction schedulers that are actually
needed in a particular circumstance.  I guess I will have to write
this up, but generally it works like this.

In your register allocator .cpp file add the following include;

   #include ""llvm/CodeGen/RegAllocRegistry.h""

In your register allocator .cpp file define a create function in the
form;

   FunctionPass *createMyRegisterAllocator() {
     return new MyRegisterAllocator();
   }

and the "installing" static constructor declaration, in the form;

   static RegisterRegAlloc myRegAlloc("myregalloc",
     "  my register allocator help string",
     createMyRegisterAllocator);

To force the load/linking of your register allocator into the llc/lli
tools, add your create function's global declaration to "Passes.h"
and add a "pseudo" call line to "llvm/Codegen/
LinkAllCodegenComponents.h" .

And that should do it.

Cheers,

-- Jim