[LLVMdev] Mozart / llvm

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Tue Aug 1 20:20:40 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Guillaume FORTAINE wrote:
> I'm a French student in computing science and I'm interested in your llvm
> project. We plan to build a new OS design using the Mozart-Oz language (
> http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/NextHurd ). Could we "easily" implement
> a Mozart front-end to llvm ? Do you think llvm could be a good alternative to
> gcc for our project ?

I haven't read up on Mozart yet, but generally the answer is yes.  It is
far easier to design a new front-end for LLVM than it is for GCC, and LLVM
has several capabilities that GCC does not (e.g. JIT compilation,
bytecode, etc).  OTOH, GCC is widely ported than LLVM, so if you need
target support for something that LLVM doesn't have, you either have to
use the LLVM C backend, write the port, or entice someone to do it for
you.

If you include a link to some info about the language itself and what your
goals are, I can give you a more detailed answer.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/