[LLVMdev] Regarding exceptions (new to this list)

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sun Apr 30 20:24:59 PDT 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, Aristid Breitkreuz wrote:
> I am, as said in the subject, new to this list. I have not actually used
> LLVM, I tried with an older version but failed. Recently I noticed that
> 1.7 came out and looked at the release notes. And there was something
> that stroke me: llvm-g++ adheres to the IA64 ABI but _not for
> exceptions_. I was not able to find information why this is so and why
> it is necessary, so I hope you don't mind me asking here. Why? It would
> make me a whole lot more interested in LLVM.

Primarily because it hasn't been implemented in the native code generators
yet.  I hope to get to this in the next month or two.

> I have another question: You said (I read in the archive) all your
> libraries are static because of start-up time becoming too high. Have
> you thought about using -fvisibility=hidden +
> __attribute__((visibility(default))) (GCC 4.0 had this wonderful change
> making C++ a better language to use)? Or is this currently impossible
> with the LLVM infrastructure? Just curious.

Noone has looked into it.  If it were a relatively unobtrusive change to
the LLVM codebase, we would welcome it.  On the other hand, GCC has a
number of significant bugs that impact us: for example LLVM has many
classes declared in anonymous namespaces.  GCC does not give the methods
internal linkage, it just "mangles" them.  This is bad for static
and dynamic link times, but can only really be resolved in the GCC C++
front-end.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/