[LLVMdev] Re: Newbie questions

Archie Cobbs archie at dellroad.org
Wed Apr 26 15:30:10 PDT 2006

Tom Tromey wrote:
> Archie> Perhaps it is. In which case, I guess we need something better or else
> Archie> we'll never be able to do certain optimizations.
>
> I'm curious to know which optimizations you have in mind.

E.g. devirtualization: this requires knowing the Java type (not LLVM type)
of an object. But once you compile to LLVM, that information is lost.

If e.g. you're loading LLVM pre-compiled modules then you can never
do this optimization because you can't recover the Java type information
(which is front-end specific).

-Archie