[LLVMdev] Newbie questions

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Sun Apr 23 13:36:05 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 15:09 -0500, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Reid Spencer wrote:
> >> 1. What is the status of the LLVM+Java effort?
> >
> > Incomplete but significant progress has been made. Misha Brukman can
> > tell you more.
> >> Is it GCJ-specific?
> >
> > No, it implements its own Java compiler and bytecode translator.
>
> Has it been hooked up to a JVM? If so, how and which ones?

I think the point of llvm-java was to avoid a JVM. That is, it converts
either Java source or Java bytecode into equivalent LLVM bytecode. I
think the big thing lacking so far are the Java library and support for
things that LLVM doesn't natively support (threading, synchronization
come to mind).  If you need more detail, Alkis (author of llvm-java) is
going to have to respond. Otherwise, you'll need to take a look at the
code.

> Thanks for your other answers re annotations and memory model.

You're welcome.