[LLVMdev] Re: Creating Release 1.7 Branch at 1:00pm PDT

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Fri Apr 14 00:10:47 PDT 2006

The issue I had with Linux has been resolved.  I was able to get the
deja-gnu tests to pass on a Linux release build by first installing
those release binaries into my PATH. Apparently running the debug
versions while doing the "make check" in optimized mode, causes the
failures. Why, I'm not sure.

In any event, in going through this adventure, I learned a few things:

     1. Compiling LLVM with GCC 4.1 is 5x slower than 4.0.X and 4.1.1
        prerelease didn't help that much. All 4.x are much slower than
        3.4.x.
     2. running (not building) llvm-gcc will use whatever gccas or gccld
        is in your path at the time of the run, not at the time llvm-gcc
        was configured. There needs to be an llvm-gcc configure option
        that says, "--with-llvm=/path/to/llvm" so that specific (known)
        executables can always be executed by llvm-gcc, not whatever
        happens to be in the path at the time.
     3. The deja-gnu tests suffer from the same problem. They use the
        path, and not the build associated with them. Many people put
        their llvm/Debug/bin directory in their path so "make check"
        works fine. But if you "make check ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1", its not
        doing what you think it is .. its running your Debug executables
        from your path, not the optimized ones. This needs to be
        corrected.
     4. Managing an environment with 4 GCC versions, 2 llvm-gcc
        versions, 5 build trees but only one PATH variable, is
        completely beyond my capabilities.

Reid.