[LLVMdev] llvm-config suggestion

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Apr 12 21:25:24 PDT 2006

I recently tried out llvm-config:

% llvm-config --help
tcsh: ..../llvm/utils//llvm-config: Permission denied.

The issue is that I haven't installed my llvm-tree, I'm running it out of
my  build directory.  Further, llvm/utils is in my path, and apparently
the shell is trying to run the utils/llvm-config directory as a program,
which obviously doesn't work very well.

A simple suggestion to improve the situation:

1. Move utils/llvm-config -> tools/llvm-config
2. Make the *built* llvm-config get put into llvm/Debug/bin/ with the rest
    of the tools.

This would make it work more naturally, without having to install the llvm
tree or add new dirs to our PATH's.

Reasonable, or no?

-Chris

--