[LLVMdev] line number information

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sat Apr 8 23:44:33 PDT 2006

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, Nikhil Patil wrote:
> I would like to know how much effect these stoppoint calls have on the
> optimization of the bytecode?  DOes insertion of debugging info cause
> opportunities for optimization (especially interprocedural dead code
> elimination and interprocedural constant propogation) to be reduced?
> The -g code is not very readable, so I am not able to confirm this by my
> own experiment.

http://llvm.org/docs/SourceLevelDebugging.html#debugopt

"LLVM optimizations gracefully interact with debugging information. If
they are not aware of debug information, they are automatically disabled
as necessary in the cases that would invalidate the debug info. "

-g currently disables many optimizations.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/