[LLVMdev] LLVM + GCC Integration Proposal

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sun Nov 27 21:02:24 PST 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Marco Matthies wrote:
> Chris Lattner wrote:
>> FYI:
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-11/msg00888.html
>>
>> It remains to be seen how well this will be accepted, but it gives some
>> insight on what is being worked on.  In any case, this probably won't have
>> a large impact on the LLVM community, other than potentially more people
>> working on it.
>
> Congratulations, i hope this works out for the best.  May i suggest taking
> out the registration requirement for dowloading llvm though?

FWIW, I fully agree with this.  We are in the progress of making LLVM more
open and less tied to UIUC.  It is a gradual transition though, as UIUC
(and Vikram's group in particular) has invested a lot in LLVM and thus
deserves some recognition for it.  OTOH, as LLVM is growing to a broader
audience, it makes a lot of sense to transition to LLVM as an open source
project, where Illinois is one of many contributors.

This transition is currently underway, we are still working out schedules
and details.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/