[LLVMdev] Using LLVM to compile system programs

Sean Peisert peisert at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 15:14:42 PST 2005

> I'm not aware of anyone who has built a whole os with LLVM yet, e.g. due
> to inline asm issues.  However, many system utils (e.g. finger and core
> utils) have been built with LLVM.  The key difference is that we didn't
> try to use the JIT, so native code was no problem.  :)

Though unfortunately, this still requires customizing all the
Makefiles to be LLVM-style, unless I'm missing something....  Now,
some sort of ability to batch-compile/instrument source from the
system source tree somehow by just specifying the directory would be
REALLY cool.

> If building native code is an option for you, try passing -Wl,-native or
> -Wl,-native-cbe to llvm-gcc.

Absolutely, native code is no problem.  Better, in fact.  And thanks,
that worked perfectly!