[LLVMdev] Using LLVM to compile system programs

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Nov 9 14:27:37 PST 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Sean Peisert wrote:
> libraries due to inline assembly.  Do my assumptions seem correct?

yes

> Has an OS (or at least the sytem applications on it) ever been
> compiled with LLVM?

I'm not aware of anyone who has built a whole os with LLVM yet, e.g. due
to inline asm issues.  However, many system utils (e.g. finger and core
utils) have been built with LLVM.  The key difference is that we didn't
try to use the JIT, so native code was no problem.  :)

If building native code is an option for you, try passing -Wl,-native or
-Wl,-native-cbe to llvm-gcc.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/