[LLVMdev] Lightweight code loader

Alexander Friedman alex at inga.mit.edu
Thu May 26 17:04:48 PDT 2005

On May 16, Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2005, Alexander Friedman wrote:
> > Would it be possible (ie, relatively straitforward) to do the
> > following: Take the code in module A, compile it with the JIT (since
> > we cannot make libraries in Windows), and save the resulting binary
> > goo in some file. Later (in a different instance of the runtime), with
> > some much smaller sized loader, read in the file and link that code to
> > the runtime. The platforms we care about this working on is the x86,
> > ppc, and sparc v9.
>
> Yes, this would be straight-forward.  The output of the code generator is
> a bunch of bytes of machine code and relocations to perform on it.  This
> is exactly what you would need to do this.

It looks like I am going to wind up writing something like this. Will
you guys accept a patch?

It seems like the result will be a much-simplified version of the
JIT/JIT.cpp and JIT/JITEmitter.cpp, as well as some utility to write
the code and relocations into a file.

There will also need to be a loader, which will depend on as little of
the framework as possible.

This seems fairly usefull - it breaks the reliance on the system
assembler for dynamic systems. What do you guys think?

--

-Alex