[LLVMdev] calling conventions and inlining

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sat May 7 11:48:49 PDT 2005

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer wrote:
> As I've just seen that there are some things going on w.r.t the long needed
> implementation of calling conventions, may I also ask if it's possible to
> address inlining at the same moment (i.e. attributes always_inline and
> noinline, but maybe LLVM wants a finer grained level here) ?

They really are different issues.  inlining hints are really hints for the
optimizer, where calling convention changes are required for correctness
under some circumstances (e.g. to get proper tail calls).

> I'd be willing to spend some work on this, but I need the help/pre-work of an
> expert for the actual bytecode and core classes modifications.

I'm not sure if we want to go this route.  Are there cases where the
inliner is doing the wrong thing?  LLVM has traditionally avoided
annotations for optimization hints like this, at least until there is some
substantial policy change, I still think it's the right way to go.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/