[LLVMdev] Scheme + LLVM JIT

Alexander Friedman alex at inga.mit.edu
Thu May 5 14:31:00 PDT 2005

> So as it stands, one should think of out JIT as something akin to the
> early Java JITs:  one function at a time and only one compile per
> function.  This is extremely primative by modern JIT standards, where a
> JIT will do profiling, find hot functions and reoptimize them,
> reoptimize functions when more information about the call tree is
> available, have several levels of optimizations, etc.

While this is extremely primative by modern JIT standards, it is
extremely good by modern Open Source standards, so I'm quite thankfull
for it.

If no one else does, this is something I'll invenstigate in the
future.

> >  Does there happen to be a C interface to the jit ? Our scheme impl
> >  has a good FFI, but it doesn't do C++. If not, this is no big deal,
> >  and i'll just write something myself.
>
> No, but such bindings would be *very useful*.  And since there might be
> other people who need them this summer, such work might also get a lot
> of help.

I'll probably wind up writing one, and if I do, I will certainly
submit it - it seems like it should just be gluing a bunch of
functions together and proving an 'extern "C" ' decleration.

What sort of interface should such an interface provide? The simplest
is "pass-in-a-string-to-compile", but that's rather crude.
--

-Alex