[LLVMdev] new IA64 backend

Duraid Madina duraid at octopus.com.au
Thu Mar 17 12:04:32 PST 2005

Hi everyone,

	I've just checked in an IA64 backend to LLVM! Be warned, it's pretty
rough right now. Here are some of the known defects:

	- No varargs
	- No alloca
	- No instruction scheduling/bundling of any sort

	...or in other words, it breaks often and when it does work, it's a
dog. On the plus side, it _does_ have a tasty new pattern instruction
selector. :) Beyond fixing the first two gaping holes above, I'm
planning on implementing a reasonably serious scheduler/bundler,
something more or less along the lines of that described here:

	http://www.jilp.org/vol6/v6paper2.pdf

	..hopefully that'll be done in time for xmas. Beyond that, a JIT would
be a very nice addition, and I'll give that a shot too if I can't sucker
anyone else into doing it for me. ;)

	Well, thanks to LLVM hackers one and all, but especially Chris for
making the whole endeavour rather painless and Andrew for the Alpha
backend from which I cut and pasted^W^W^Wlearned a lot.

	Duraid