[LLVMdev] FP Intrinsics

Morten Ofstad morten at hue.no
Fri Mar 11 02:33:22 PST 2005

Hello,

I am trying to make the FP intrinsics (abs, sin, cos, sqrt) I've added
work with the X86ISelPattern, but I'm having some difficulties
understanding what needs to be done. I assume I have to add new
nodetypes for the FP instructions to SelectionDAGNodes.h, and make nodes
for these in SelectionDAGLowering::visitCall when I find the intrinsic...

The part I don't quite understand is what to do for targets that don't
have these instructions (although I'm only interested in X86 myself, I
would like to see these patches in the official LLVM version as it's
some work to maintain them) -- for me it would make most sense to lower
the intrinsic to a call if it's not supported. However I notice that for
other intrinsics (memcpy etc.) this is done in LegalizeDAG where the
node is expanded to a call if it's not directly supported for the target.

To illustrate what I have been doing so far I attach the diff to this
mail -- if someone could have a look at it and tell me what needs to be
done to get it working I would be very grateful... (Note that if you use
the X86ISelSimple it's already working...)

m.