[LLVMdev] Using LLVM to target the JVM

Curt Cox ccox at tripos.com
Tue Mar 1 10:54:08 PST 2005

The reasons I'm interested in are compiling legacy Fortran/C code to Java
bytecode are:
1) to run the same binaries on all platforms with a supported JVM
2) to run in environments with security restrictions (AKA sandboxes)

I care about performance.  A major reason that I'm attracted to LLVM is that
it would seem to have a better upper limit for attainable performance.  My
primary interests in a LLVM interpreter comes from its potential educational
value to me.  If I could write a working interpreter, then hopefully, that
would mean that I understood the LLVM bytecodes.  Perhaps an interpreter
would also be useful for debugging or developing a continuously profiling
runtime for LLVM like HotSpot.

- Curt