[LLVMdev] Useless/Mis-placed Tests?

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Thu Jun 16 08:17:26 PDT 2005

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Reid Spencer wrote:

> For some time now the tests in llvm-test/SingleSource/Regression and
> llvm-test/SingleSource/UnitTests have been producing no meaningful
> performance data other than "working". I think one of two things should
> be done, on a case-by-case basis:
>
> 1. Tests that are clearly simple, quick running tests should be moved
> into the llvm/test/Regression directory and made part of the deja-gnu
> suite since they are supposed to test functionality and their
> performance isn't really of significance.
>
> 2. Tests that are a little more complex and *could* have meaningful
> performance data should have their "main" functions put in a loop so
> that these programs runs sufficiently long to produce meaningful
> performance numbers. Currently their results are so small that we just
> get - in the nightly report.
>
> Is there a reason we haven't done this yet?

Because llvm-test is a coverage testsuite that we happen to get perf data
from, not a performance suite.  There is no way to run tests in the
llvm/test/Regression directory.  All of these tests require running to
show that they work.

OTOH, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to merging SingleSource/Regression
with SingleSource/UnitTests.  There is no useful distinction there.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/