[LLVMdev] Compiling SPEC

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 13 06:56:25 PDT 2005

Tanu Sharma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to compile spec benchmark with llvm.I am trying the 2
> methods suggested but have not succeeded yet .
>
> 1) Setting the flags -Wl,-native-cbe or -Wl,-native flags to llvm-gcc.
>
> This results in successful compilation with llvm BUT it doesn't create
> *.bc* files (?)which I need for my experimentation.Any other significant
> modification/addition missing ??
>
> 2) Using llvm-test :
>
> I get this error after a long time when it enters into Spec directory.

> `/home/tsharma/llvm-cvs/llvm/projects/llvm-test/External/SPEC/CFP2000' >
> gmake[4]: Entering directory >
>
> `/home/tsharma/llvm-cvs/llvm/projects/llvm-test/External/SPEC/CFP2000/177.mesa'
>  > gmake[4]: *** No rule to make target `Output/accum.rbc', needed by >
> `Output/177.mesa.linked.rbc'. Stop. > gmake[4]: Leaving directory >

I'm not sure why you got this error with SPEC.  I'd suggest that you
make sure that:

1. You configured the LLVM source and LLVM object tree directories
correctly (i.e. the --with-llvmsrc and --with-llvmobj options to the
llvm-test configure script).

2. You correctly configured the location of SPEC with the
--enable-spec2000 option to the llvm-test configure script.

3. That you are running the tests in your object tree, not your source
tree (if your source tree and object trees are different).

All of these directories are recorded in various Makefiles in llvm-test,
so they should be pretty easily to find.  I think all of them are in
llvm-test/Makefile.config.

> Also please tell me how to test only SPEC benchmark with llvm-test ,
> else it takes a long time to enter SPEC.

Simply cd into External/SPEC inside your object tree and type make.

> Am I missing something somewhere?I tried a lot but still failure !!
> Please help me find my way out.

Personally, I would use the llvm-test harness as it's the easiest to use
to use if all you want is timing information and LLVM statistics.
However, you have to make sure everything is configured correctly;
otherwise, it just won't work.

I would check the three things I listed above (as it looks like a
configuration error).  If that doesn't work, please email the list again
and we'll take a closer look.

-- John T.