[LLVMdev] rpm spec file problem

gyro funch gyromagnetic at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 10:02:33 PDT 2005

Hi,
I am trying to create an rpm file from llvm.spec file included in llvm-1.5.

For some reason, the DESTDIR argument to 'make install' is not working
in this instance, and consequently, the rpm cannot be built.
The relevant section of the spec file is as follows:
---
%install
rm -rf %{buildroot}
make install DESTDIR=%{buildroot}
---

I have tried issuing this command by hand after the initial 'make' but
it fails also; by 'fail' I mean that the files are installed in the
usual location (e.g. /usr/local) and not the alternative DESTDIR.

In testing, I've found that the DESTDIR argument works for other
builds and installs I tried.

My OS is Scientific Linux (an offshoot of Redhat Enterprise) using a
2.6.9 kernel version.

I'd appreciate any advice you have. I am not an expert in rpmbuild and
constructing spec files, but I'll give things a shot if you have
ideas.

Thanks.

-g