[LLVMdev] Debugger symbols in lli-generated files?

Bryan Turner bryan.turner at pobox.com
Wed Jun 8 09:26:38 PDT 2005

Hello (again),

	I was perusing the nightly tests and looking at the code performance
ratios, etc.  The worst case I saw was the C++ Shootout benchmark for lists.

	After some disentangling of the nightly test scripts, I ran the llc
version through valgrind to see where the performance bottleneck is, but the
results don't include debugger symbols, and the output is useless.

	I tried using -g on all the tools which accepted it (llvm-gcc, and
gcc), but still no luck.  I also tried --gstabs on 'as' in place of gcc for
the assembly step.  It generates errors along the lines of "debugger symbol
table too large, use different format".

	Any idea how I can get debugger symbols into the llc-generated
version of the lists benchmark?  Did I miss something obvious?

	Alternatively, does anyone have a better idea to track down why the
lists test is drastically worse than the gcc and cbe version?  (the
assembler file is a bit too large to browse directly without some direction)

Thanks,
--Bryan
bryan.turner at pobox.com