[LLVMdev] 64-bit Linux Support

Al Stone ahs3 at fc.hp.com
Wed Jun 1 09:01:33 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 10:04 -0500, Misha Brukman wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 10:50:35AM -0400, Bill Wendling wrote:
> > It didn't look like there was a cftonend binary for the IA-64
> > platform. Are we supposed to use the x86 binaries instead?
>
> The answer to that is that we don't have IA-64 in-house, so we don't
> provide an IA-64 C/C++ front-end, but if someone were to contribute it
> to us, we would gratefully host it.
>
> Note that if you use the x86 frontend, you will generate 32-bit LLVM
> code, which is probably not what you want.  Instead, you want to build
> your own frontend if there are none available for your platform:
>
> http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/CFEBuildInstrs.html
>
> I noticed that it does not list IA-64 anywhere, but I assume the
> directions would be the same as for Linux/x86.  Let us know if that
> works for you, and I'll amend the doc accordingly.
>
> Duraid, Al -- I am assuming you each built your own CFE to test on
> IA-64, any pointers?

Sure.  All the Debian packages are at:

   http://www.toolchain.org/~ahs3/llvm

The 'llvm-cfe' package contains the CFE I build from scratch.  If
you pull down the source for the packages from that location, there's
a script called build.sh that starts from source tarballs and builds
the binaries for the front-end and LLVM (I should probably submit that
script to the utils directory for LLVM...).  The LLVM 1.4 packages
are the most stable of the ones on the site; the 1.5 packages are in
progress.

BTW, I also run a nightly tester for x86_64.  I'm not real happy with
the results right now, and haven't had much time to spend on it, but
they're at http://www.toolchain.org/~ahs3/Sites/amd64/ if you're
interested.

--
Ciao,